1. MyHeritage DNA- Best Family Tree Services
With MyHeritage, you can use the two most powerful tools in genetic and genealogical research—cutting-edge DNA testing and the best family tree services in the industry.
- Scan your results against 690,000 genetic markers in 42 unique geographic regions in the world.
- Receive Results Online Within 4 Weeks.
- HG is in Yehuda, Israel.
- Choose From Over 72 Languages.
- Reports can be accessed online or through a mobile app.
- Combines lab work with archival legwork.
DNA Test Kit For Only $59
MyHeritage provides its “Ethnicity Estimate” with a captivating “reveal” experience; featuring fun animations and music specific to your ethnic and geographical background.
Editor's Note: MyHeritage DNA is an extremely powerful option for DNA testing when it comes to finding lost family members.
Bottom Line: A unique feature of MyHeritage DNA is “DNA matching” which was launched in 2016. This product takes your DNA sample and shows you users whose DNA matches yours, including to what percentage. These matches can imply a family connection, be it a 3rd or 4th cousin.
Read MyHeritageDNA Full Review
2. Ancestry DNA - Largest and most diverse database
AncestryDNA testing kits combine reliability and affordability to produce a superior product.
- Largest global database of users.
- Over 20 Billion Historical DNA Records.
- Covers 350 Regions Worldwide.
- Average Results Time: 6-8 weeks.
- HQ is in Lehi, Utah, United States.
- More specific insights than other kits
DNA testing kit starts at $99
Ancestry.com was an early pioneer with an online platform that has helped take genealogy mainstream.
Editor's Note: AncestryDNA is also a good choice, because of its large database and information.
Bottom Line: AncestryDNA’s kit leverages Ancestry.com’s strong family tree and genealogy background to provide DNA results that provide information that is focused on genetic links, historical figures, and more recent family histories stretching back hundreds of years.
Read Ancestry DNA Full Review
3. Living DNA - Best For Regional Results
Living DNA helps customers learn the ethnic makeup of their DNA and gain some insight into their family background and where their ancestors came from.
- Your genetic makeup will be compared across 150 regions worldwide.
- Shows your recent ancestry from 500 years ago.
- UK-based company.
- Founded in 2012.
- Results take 6 - 8 weeks.
- Provides an interactive map.
DNA testing kit starts at $99
Living DNA provides users with an overview of their ethnic heritage going back about 10 generations with a remarkable level of detail.
Editor's Note: Living DNA is a solid choice for people trying to learn about where they come from with their interactive map and detailed results.
Bottom Line: Living DNA provides a unique genetic mapping product that utilizes a highly intricate series of tests and parameters. The insight provided by the tests is more detailed than others and really presents a very rich macro and micro look at users’ roots back deep into ancient history.
Read Living DNA Full Review
4. Family Tree DNA - Best For All 3 Tyes Of Tests
FamilyTreeDNA specializes in tracing your maternal and paternal lines by using your DNA.
- Offers autosomal, mtDNA, and Y-DNA testing options.
- Relative finder through the last five generations.
- Founded in 2000.
- 2 million users.
- Receive your results online in 4 to 8 weeks.
Prices start at $79
FamilyTreeDNA can trace your maternal and paternal haplogroups back to the earliest days of human expansion!
Editor's Note: While I give FamilyTreeDNA some credit for being one of the longest-running companies for ancestry testing, it doesn’t seem to have continued innovating in some areas. For example, this company doesn’t provide DNA-based health insights.
Bottom Line: FamilyTreeDNA’s pricing is simple enough, with separate prices for the Family Finder autosomal DNA test and the (more expensive) Paternal Ancestry Y-DNA and Maternal Ancestry mtDNA tests. They are one of the companies that offer more in-depth tests into all types of DNA tests.
Read Family Tree DNA Full Review
5. Vitagene - Best For A Healthier lifestyle
Vitagene’s DNA tests can help you learn about your past in order to shape your future. The test results include a personalized optimal fitness regimen, along with what vitamins you’re lacking, and which food sensitivities and eating patterns you may have.
- Offers diet and fitness recommendations based on DNA data analysis.
- HQ is in San Francisco, California, USA.
- Founded in 2014 by a neurosurgeon and a businessman.
- Results: 4-6 weeks
$30 for data upload; up to $249 for DNA testing kits
In 2018, the company partnered with Family Tree DNA.
Editor's Note: Vitagene is a great choice if you want more information about your health and DNA. You can have a healthier lifestyle after this.
Bottom Line: When you sign up for Vitagene, you sign up for more than a DNA testing kit; you sign up for a process. Taking the saliva test and sending it into the lab for analysis is just the start to a more informed you.
Read Vitagene Full Review - the review ends with a link to a dedicated brand review page on our site.
6. iGenea- Best For Geology And Ancestry Research
iGENEA collaborates with Family Tree DNA to give you the best possible Genealogy results.
- Analysis by expert Swiss genealogists.
- Analyze your origins over 100,000 years ago.
- Can take up to 7 weeks to receive your results.
- Includes A Free Consultation with an Expert.
- Offers 3 types of DNA tets - Basic, Premium, and Expert.
- Founded in 2006 and is Swiss-based.
From 179 EUR to 1299 EUR
iGENEA Is Only for Genealogy DNA Test Results
Editor's Note: iGenea can be a good choice if you want extra, researched information about your ancestors.
Bottom Line: iGenea does in-depth research into archives to get information about your ancestors.
Read iGenea Full Review
7. EasyDNA - Best for Tracking Recent Ancestral Migration
EasyDNA uses rigorous standards and state-of-the-art laboratories to provide a wide range of DNA tests to its users.
- Executed over 300.000 various DNA tests in its lifespan.
- EasyDNA doesn’t allow you to upload raw DNA data from another testing service.
- Offers autosomal, mtDNA, and Y-DNA testing options.
- EasyDNA was established in 2007 in Malta and 2008 in Australia.
- Receive Your Results In 3-5 working days.
DNA Testing Kit Prices Start at $169
EasyDNA only provides an overview and no in-depth results.
Editor's Note: EasyDNA has offices worldwide, even in some Asian countries, which makes it a possible choice.
Bottom Line: EasyDNA matches the scope of its numerous DNA products with a strong commitment to scientific rigor and personal confidentiality.
Read Easy DNA Full Review
8. Dynamic DNA Labs - Best For People Who Wants To Prove Paternity DNA
Dynamic DNA Labs offers customers several different types of DNA tests. Besides its general ancestry DNA test, it also offers two tests that tell you specifically if you are biologically related to your father, brother, or siblings.
- HQ is in Springfield, MO.
- Get results in 2 - 3 weeks.
- Offers three types of family and ancestry tests: two that prove paternity or kinship and one ancestry test.
- Offers Quick Support Response by Email.
- The company was founded in 2018.
Prices start at $99
According to online reviews, some people have been saying that the results are a bit too vague.
Editor's Note: Dynamic DNA Labs offers no family finder feature in the maternal report, but one in the paternal results, which can be off-putting.
Bottom Line: Dynamic DNA Labs offers all 3 DNA testing options, but some people have been saying that the way their results are presented can be a little confusing.
Read Dynamic DNA Labs Full Review
9. Nebula Genomics - Best For Raw DNA Data Results
Nebula Genomics company provides a number of tools for analyzing your genetic ancestry, health risks you may face because of your genetics, and a variety of other tools to explore your raw DNA data.
- Offer whole-genome sequencing.
- Dedication to privacy.
- Sequences your entire genome 30 times for accuracy.
- Founded in 2016 in San Francisco.
- Browse through your entire genome with their Genome Browser.
- Results can take up to 13 weeks.
$299, plus a subscription fee
You have total control over your privacy
Editor's Note: Nebula offers raw DNA data which makes it a great choice for people who want to be on the cutting-edge of DNA technology.
Bottom Line: Not all Nebula Genomics health data has been approved by the FDA for diagnostic purposes which can be a red flag for some people.
Read Nebula Genomics Full Review
10. Sequencing.com - The largest DNA app store
Sequencing.com not only offers more than just Ancestry and Health DNA testing, it also offers Ultimate Genome Sequencing.
- Sequencing.com offers whole-genome sequencing, unlike many competitors.
- Data security is important to the company.
- You retain the rights to your data.
- Over 100 analysis apps and reports.
- Access to ongoing insights, rather than one-time reporting.
- Their HQ is in Los Angeles, USA.
$69 - $399
Sequencing.com can take you beyond what traditional DNA test results can tell you.
Editor's Note: The wide range of data offered is very impressive. What is also great is that you have so much control over your profile and personal data.
Bottom Line: Sequencing.com provides a useful platform for re-using your genetic data. The range of free and paid apps that is on offer is excellent.
Read Sequencing.com Full Review
Why Take a DNA Test For Asian Ancestry?
Why would you take a DNA test to prove your regional Asian ancestry? Well, there are many reasons why it is a good idea to take a DNA test.
This can include:
- Get a more comprehensive breakdown of your ethnic subgroups or Asian ancestral history.
- It may help you fill in vital gaps in your family tree.
- Could enable you to trace your ancestry back generations.
- There may also be an option to connect with relatives you share DNA with across the globe, who you would otherwise never know existed.
- To verify the identity of unknown parents
- To prove paternity
- To discover your genetic dispositions towards certain hereditary diseases
- To find out more about your skin and how it ages
- To learn what you can do to prevent certain health disorders
- To see if your children are carriers of certain genetic diseases
DNA testing is an easy way to find out some fascinating facts about your heritage and help you live a healthier lifestyle.
How Can A DNA Test for Asian Ancestry Change Your Life?
As a child of Vietnamese immigrants to the U.S., K Ohna has long been curious about their Asian ancestry and genetic makeup. According to the results, they had 63% Han Chinese, 22% Dai — an ethnic group in southwestern China — and 3% Uighur. The test results did not pick up the Vietnamese heritage because it was not in the database.
This just goes to show that DNA companies have a long way to go when it comes to DNA database results for Asian Ancestry. The good thing is, K Ohna, did find out more about their Chinese history in more detail. Information that they never had. They also learned about genetic diseases such as diabetes that could be in their genes.
How To Do A DNA Test For Asian Ancestry With A DNA Test Kit
When doing a DNA test, companies will take a closer look at the chains of DNA that you have. Throughout generations, DNA chains will change and reshuffle, but there will always be segments that remain the same. If you are related to someone, you will have segments that are identical.
To Take A DNA Test Sample, Just Follow These Steps:
Step 1: Visit the clinic website of your choice, and answer a few questions about yourself.
Step 2: Now order the DNA Testing Kit.
Step 3: When the DNA kit arrives, you can collect your DNA sample.
Step 4: After you collected your sample, register it on the website.
Step 5: Now it is time to send your sample back, and wait for the results.
Asian Ancestry - What Types of DNA Tests Are There
DNA Tests will always look at specific locations of a genome to find or verify your ancestral genealogical relationship or estimate your ethnicity.
There are three principal types of genealogical DNA tests. Each one will look at a different part of your genome and is useful for different types of genealogical tests.
These three types of DNA tests are autosomal, mitochondrial (mtDNA), and Y-DNA.
This is the test that will check your autosomal chromosomes, or rather the first 22 pairs. It will be able to positively identify your Asian heritage.
- Mitochondrial testing (mtDNA)
This type of DNA test will search your maternal line. With this test, you can go as deep as around 25 generations or 10,000 years. It is a great idea to take an mtDNA test if you think someone in your maternal line has Asian DNA.
This is a somewhat limited DNA test, as it is only available to males. It searches the Y chromosome.
What You Can Expect To Learn In Your DNA test Results
You may have wondered about the ethnic breakdown in your DNA for most of your life, or you may want to do a test out of pure curiosity. You can learn many things about yourself by doing a DNA test. Your results can include:
- You can learn about your strengths and weaknesses that come from your genetic makeup.
- Get the best supplement plans to improve your overall fitness, diet, and even your skin by knowing your genetic makeup.
- Get custom nutrition that will support your fitness goals.
- Learn information about your parents.
- Learn from which area in Asia you come from.
We hope this article has shed some light on the best DNA tests for Asian Ancestry. At present, DNA testing isn’t as strong for Asians as it is for Europeans and Native Americans, but most companies are striving for better results. They are increasingly marketing their products in the global East and South Asian countries as well as in the West to acquire more DNA data to build a better database.