When it comes to keeping animals as pets, fishes are very easy to pet as it can be kept in an aquarium which keeps their maintenance low as compared to other pet animals.
However, people do not know that they need to check if the water of the aquarium is suitable for fishes or not.
Fishes can survive in optimum conditions but will have a problem in surviving if there is any problem with the water. There are a lot of factors that might create problems such as pH, the hardness of the water, chlorine, nitrate, etc. Nitrite and nitrate are one of the crucial parameters of the water. Lower levels of it can cause problems in the fish respiration and also suppress their immune system while the higher levels of it lead to suffocation.
The levels of the nitrate if the increase to a greater extent it might cause a lot of problems as nitrate is used as a source of energy by the sea plants and algae. This higher level of nitrate results in the reduction of the dissolved oxygen which is harmful to fishes as it causes suffocation and the steps of its removal should be taken as soon as possible.
There are many kits available in the market that can be used to test the nitrate levels in the water of aquarium to keep the fishes healthy. By monitoring the levels of nitrate, you are making sure that the environment for fishes is suitable. I am listing seven such best-rated products in the nitrate testing kits which are readily available.
Best Nitrate Test Kit
1. API TEST KIT Aquarium Water Test Kit
The API aquarium water test kit is one of the top-rated kits in this range and customers are have been using it for a long time now. It helps in keeping the aquarium water suitable for fishes by assisting in testing the nitrate levels of the aquarium water. This kit can be used for testing saltwater as well as freshwater. One can use this kit to monitor the levels of nitrate weekly.
- The kit contains one bottle of testing solution, one color and one glass tube with the lid.
- It is accurate in detecting the levels of nitrate, and the range of detection is from 0-5 ppm which is useful for identifying high nitrate levels.
- The kit also comes with one instruction manual to carry out the testing procedure for checking the nitrate levels.
- It also has a color card which can be used to match the color of the water in the test tube.
2. JNW Direct Aquarium Test Strips
This complete home testing kit is the perfect kit that anyone would want for keeping their fish healthy. The kit tests seven critical parameters of water such as free chlorine, pH, total alkalinity, total hardness, nitrite, nitrate, and carbonate. This kit is extremely easy to use which makes it the top choice of consumers.
- The kit consists of 150 strips, and hence 150 tests for the sample of water can be carried out which is a pretty good deal.
- The results given by the kit is instant, accurate and reliable.
- The procedure of the test is easy as you have to take the strip and dip it in the water source that you want to test.
- After you dip it, compare the color on the strip with color on the large color chart that is given on the bottle to know the quality of the water source.
- It can be used for all types of water sources such as freshwater and saltwater aquariums, fish ponds, etc.
3. Tetra 6-in-1 Aquarium Test Strips
Tetra 6-in-one easy strips are also one of those highly rated products. The kit uses three pads that help in testing the general hardness, nitrites, nitrates, alkalinity and pH levels of the water sample. It is imperative to maintain the safe aquarium environment, and one should monitor the levels of nitrates, pH, carbonates, etc. by doing these tests weekly.
- The kit provides with the accurate and reliable results.
- It is easy to test the sample as it just needs the strip to be dipped in water for a minute.
- As the reaction time is 60 seconds, there are no false higher readings.
- It gives more accurate hardness test as compared to the other kits.
- As it is testing not only nitrate but other parameters as well it has a become a consumer choice kit in the market.
4. Salifert Nitrate Test Kit
Salifert Nitrate test kit is a useful kit for testing the nitrate levels in the aquarium. This kit is one of its kind as it gives accurate results in minutes. Like other nitrate kits, it doesn’t face issues due to the amine interference. The kit is reliable and offers a wide range for testing nitrate levels.
- This kit can detect the lowest to high ranges of nitrate concentration as it’s range is approximately from 0.2 mg/L to 100 mg/L for total nitrate concentration in the water.
- The total testing time taken by the kit is less than 3 minutes.
- The kit can be used to do up to 50 tests.
- There are two ranges in the testing kit, a low range – 0.2-10 ppm and a medium range that ranges from 2-100 ppm for nitrate.
5. Stript Health 7-Way Aquarium Test Strips
Stript Health 7-way aquarium test strips is a versatile kit to test all the essential parameters of the water. It can be used to check the pH, total alkalinity, free chlorine, nitrate, nitrite, general hardness, and carbonate. Along with nitrate, there are other factors also that can create problems in the survival for fishes one can use this kit to monitor the levels of all the factors as mentioned above and do the needful.
- The testing procedure is effortless as all you need to do is to dip the strip in the water that you want to test and match the colors with the strips that are provided for reference.
- The kit is entirely accurate and less time-consuming.
- It is effortless to use that makes it suitable for all the age groups of fish owners.
- The kit can be used for up to 100 tests that is included in a bottle.
6. NYOS Nitrate Aquarium Test Kit
The NYOS nitrate aquarium kit is helpful in achieving precise and reproducible measurable results. The kit has the calibrated dropper that aids in the uniform drops while performing the tests repeatedly. All the reagents are made in Germany according to EN ISO 9001 standards. The kit is priced in an affordable range which makes it an excellent option to go as it is specific for testing the nitrate levels in water.
- This kit precisely analyses the seawater conditions.
- It is effortless to use as it comes with pictogram instructions.
- The number of tests that can be conducted by using this kit is 40 which is quite a deal at the price it comes for.
- This kit can be used for testing freshwater as well as saltwater.
7. Aquarium Test Strips Kit 7 Parameter
This kit has the strips that can test the seven parameters of the water sample such as pH, total hardness, nitrate, free chlorine, etc. It comes with good packaging design and some tips to help with the maintenance of the aquarium. The strips are of high-quality, and the kit is affordable which makes it a suitable option to consider for buying a kit for testing various parameters including the nitrate levels for the aquarium.
- The kit has a long shelf life as it can resist humidity and last for up to 24 months.
- There 150 strips in the kit so one can use this kit 150 times for testing the water sample.
- The kit is affordable and comes with a detailed set of instructions that makes it very easy to use this kit.
- It is easy to test the water by dipping the strip in the water and comparing the color with the color chart that is mentioned on the bottle.
All the kits that are mentioned above are good quality, reliable and affordable kits. You can select the kit that suits your requirements.
Tip: If you find high nitrate levels you should clean the tank and add reagents that help in bringing the nitrate levels down making the environment sustainable for the fishes.