DNA Testing Kits Compared: Full Genomes Vs Futura Genetics
At some point in your life, did you ever want to know more about your background and health? DNA testing kits today are providing insightful and incredibly useful information about your innermost private details- from in-depth DNA analysis to crucial health information.
Full Genomes Vs Futura Genetics
Two leading players in the DNA testing kit market are Full Genomes and Futura Genetics. Both companies have solid reputations and are good options to work with when seeking a DNA analysis. Here’s a little more information about each:
- Full Genomes is a good fit for individuals looking for a more detailed report of their specific genetic sequencing. The company provides this by offering packages that include advanced and in-depth options for DNA testing, analysis, and genome sequencing
- The unique advantage of a DNA testing kit from this company is that it provides information on any predispositions to common diseases. This allows you to take proactive steps toward protecting your health
DNA Testing Kit Prices
The DNA testing kit landscape is a crowded market with many different options and tests to choose from. It’s crucial to consider your budget alongside your reasons for testing. DNA tests that are specialized or are more specific than a general test, will tend to be more pricey.
- Full Genomes offers a variety of testing kit options, ranging from the cheapest analysis of Y BAM for $50 to the most expensive being a comprehensive whole-genome test for $2,900
- Futura Genetics has a more simplistic offering with a single test priced at $375
If you want a basic DNA test, then Futura Genetics might be the right option for you. If you have more specific needs like an ancestry test for men, a whole-genome and basic ancestry test, or a whole-genome 20x test, you’ll want to browse the extensive packages offered by Full Genomes.
Collection Process and Results
At-home DNA testing has never been easier, and it doesn’t even require blood work or a trip to the doctor’s office. Once you choose your DNA testing kit, you can order it online and have it delivered to your door. Be sure to review the instructions carefully and understand the process before you begin. The processes for Full Genomes and Futura Genetics are as follows:
- The testing kit comes with two saliva collection tubes. Remember, when preparing to collect your saliva, avoid eating, drinking, or smoking anything 30 minutes beforehand so you don’t risk contamination
- Several weeks after your sample is mailed back to the company, you should receive your results. You’ll need to open an account to access your DNA information online
- Follow the instructions for collecting your saliva sample in the provided sterile tubes. This can be easily completed by spitting into the provided containers
- Once your DNA sample is ready, you’ll log onto the company website and request a collection. A notification is then sent to the company that’ll come to collect your sample
For many considering taking a DNA test, privacy is a major concern. After all, this is some of your most sensitive information that you’re sharing with a company. It’s natural and correct to ask what the company intends to do with your information and understand how it might affect your privacy.
Here’s how Full Genomes and Futura Genetics handle the personal data of their customers:
- The company de-identifies your genetic sample and labels it with a unique barcode before sending it to the lab for analysis. Unless you specifically request otherwise, DNA samples are destroyed after the laboratory finishes the analysis
- Your DNA information isn’t shared with any external parties without your consent, and the company is compliant with EU regulations regarding the DNA samples
Each DNA testing company comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Full Genomes and Futura Genetics both serve different purposes. So, your choice will ultimately depend on the reasons for testing.
- Benefit from a highly extensive library of Y-Chromosome SNPs
- Offers one of the most comprehensive DNA testing kits available
- Provides exceptional health and ancestor insights
- Ensures individual data and samples are protected
- Enjoy free courier delivery and pick-up
- Can test if you’re predisposed to a total of 28 diseases and conditions
Not all DNA tests are created equal, so it’s important to also look at the downsides of each testing kit. With some kits, you may need to wait longer to receive results, while others might provide limited information.
Here’s how Full Genomes and Futura Genetics stack up:
- Results are complicated to understand
- Customers are responsible for paying for shipping both ways
- The cost is above the average DNA testing kit cost
- The test kit is only available in the US, Canada, and Europe