HomeDNA™ Starter Ancestry Test
The standard price of the test is $69, and it includes the following.
- Instructions and cheek swabs for the test
- Free prepaid postage envelope for returning the test
This test only checks 13 DNA locations known as CODIS markers.
Independent experts doubt that ancestry conclusions drawn from such limited data can be valid.
HomeDNA™ Advanced Ancestry Test
The Advanced test costs more at $124 but checks more than 80,000 DNA locations.
While this should be more accurate than their 13-marker test, it still falls far short of the best ancestry tests such as 23andMe, AncestryDNA, and MyHeritage DNA that each check more than a half million locations
GPS Origins® Ancestry Test
This is the test described above and it is priced at $199. Many experts say that the GPS Origins test does not provide meaningful results and has no practical application for the genetic genealogist.
GPS Origins® Algorithm - Upload Your Raw Data
If you have done another DNA test and are curious about this test, you can download your raw data from the other test and upload it HomeDNA for just $39.
See their website to learn which tests and versions are compatible. 23andMe Version 5 data and FamilyTree DNA versions after October 2018 are excluded.
GPS Origins® Ancestry Test African Edition or Asian Edition
Two separate packages priced at $199, the African and Asian Ancestry tests give similar information to the GPS Origins® Ancestry Test.
They’re specifically for those of African or Asian descent.
- Access to Asia-specific or Africa-specific gene pools
- Migration routes explained back to 2000+ years
- Education about historical events that impacted your gene pool
These packs should only be considered by people with African or Asian ethnicity.
Note that they are subject to the same limitations as the regular edition.
DNA Origins® Maternal Lineage or Paternal Lineage
Priced at $69 each, these tests give you a chance to focus in on your mother or father’s lineage or both if you decide to invest in the two.
While these tests may be an inexpensive way to determine your base haplogroups, those looking for more detailed haplogroup designations or genetic matches in their direct paternal or maternal lines should do the Y-DNA or mitochondrial DNA tests at Family Tree DNA instead.
This is what you’ll get in each package.
- Personalized certificate showing your haplogroup designation and ancestral journey
- PDF results manual containing detailed reports on your results
- Please note, females must use DNA from their biological brother or father
HomeDNA™ Healthy Weight
This test focuses on your weight and health and is priced at $119. It promises a detailed view of the genetics that affect your weight: the foods you should eat and the ones you should avoid to maintain a balanced diet.
It also addresses nutrients needed to be healthy and recommended supplements based on DNAWorkouts and exercise ideas to suit your genetic makeup.
HomeDNA™ Skin Care
Another health option, but this time it’s all about your skin.
This test will set you back $99 but might save you money on buying ineffective skincare that doesn’t suit your DNA.
- In-depth view of the factors that influence your skin
- Detailed findings on seven different skin concerns
- Personal recommendations for supplements including topical and supplement ingredients, and professional treatments
If you have skin problems or are concerned about the quality of your skin, then this test could be what you have been searching for to improve your life.
This test is only available in retail stores and can confirm a person’s biological parent.
It is not suitable for measuring any other relationship. The test is priced at $164.
- 100% accurate results
- Trained PhD approval of results
- Two-day turnaround time
This test isn’t about your distant ancestors or health and well-being, but it’s for people who want peace of mind over who their biological father is.
Note that courts will not accept ANY test-results where DNA was collected at home because the identity of the participants cannot be verified.
HomeDNA doesn’t leave animals out of the picture and has several tests you can use on your fur baby.
Here are the details of those in brief:
- Mixed-Breed Dog Identification DNA Test and Life Plan™ $89 - Breed percentages, weight predictions, breed-specific games and more
- HomeDNA™ Food & Pet Sensitivity $99 - Check your pet’s sensitivity to Lactose, Gluten, Histamine, Egg, Peanuts and more with health advice included
- Dog DNA Health Screen and Life Plan™ $125 - 150 genetic diseases and traits, prevention and early identification of issues, and more.
- Cat DNA Health Screen and Life Plan™ $125 - 40 genetic diseases and traits, and life plan for your cat.
HomeDNA is a reputable source for at-home paternity testing.
Specialized tests for healthy weight, skin care, and pets are difficult to evaluate but may be suitable for those purposes.
The company’s ancestry-related tests, however, are widely considered to be inferior to the industry leaders: AncestryDNA, 23andMe, MyHeritage DNA, and Family Tree DNA.