How Does MyHeritage Protect Your Privacy?
Another big plus for prospective MyHeritage users is that the company is very conscious of user privacy and works to keep sensitive data away from prying eyes. When you sign up for the company’s service, MyHeritage encrypts all your DNA and personal data while it is stored on their servers.
More importantly, the company makes it clear to every user that it doesn’t own or have any jurisdiction over your DNA and data. This means that you have total control over who can see it and how it was issued.
MyHeritage will not share your DNA and data with anyone for any reason. Even better, you can set your privacy level on the company’s website. If you prefer not to show up on any DNA match, or to have only some information visible, you can customize your privacy settings manually.
Worried about your genetic data?
find out how to delete your genetic data from myheritage database
Matching With Relatives
Perhaps the biggest advantage MyHeritage has over its competitors is how useful its relative matching tools are. If you add your family tree to the site, their Theory of Family RelativityTM tool can plot possible pathways that might explain the genetic connection to many of your matches. They also have an AutoClusters tool that organizes your DNA Matches into clusters that likely descended from common ancestors. You can also filter your matches in many powerful ways, e.g. by shared surnames, location, or ethnicity. Even better, you can choose to only see a list of matches that have a Theory of Family Relativity..One big benefit MyHeritage offers users is that its user base is more geographically spread out than some competitors. This is great news if you’re searching for long-lost family who may be in your ancestral homeland or across the world.
It’s worth noting that DNA matching on MyHeritage is completely opt-in, so if you don’t find certain relatives, it may simply be that they’ve chosen not to make their results public. If you choose to participate, however, you’ll be notified via email when others match with your DNA profile, and you’ll be able to see those who have also opted in to compare the commonalities (whether it’s the same last name or a strong ethnic composition match) and see where they reside in the world.
Updated US-City Directories
MyHeritage recently announced that they’ve published a huge database of historical US city directories. It took the company more than two years to build this database and has been produced exclusively by MyHeritage from 25,000 public US-city directories. All of this accumulated data was published between the years 1860 and 1960.
The study consisted of 545 million composite reports of 1.3 billion documents, many of which included identical entries for the same user. This extension brings the cumulative historical data featured in MyHeritage to 11.9 billion documents.
The new collection of community directories on MyHeritage is a rich source of information for everyone in the United States in the mid-19th and 20th centuries who wanted to find out about their communities. The repositories provide valuable insights into daily American life, from the Civil War to the struggle for civil rights.
Family Tree Fan View
Fan View provides an engaging and useful visual description of your family tree. It takes into account several generations of the primary individual and the ancestors, without families, or any other adult that is not a direct ancestor.
This view is quite similar to the Pedigree view, but with a more attractive visual display. Fan View looks like a fan chart, which is common to many genealogists. It’s an interactive chart that allows you to view more information about a certain individual by just clicking on the name. Besides, you can even add more users to the tree using this interactive elementYou can access the Fan View feature from both your desktop and web browser at no extra cost. Although not available yet, this feature will also be added later in the MyHeritage mobile app.
Colorize Your Heritage
On the MyHeritage site, you can upload your family’s historical black and white photos and colorize them automatically with the world’s best deep learning technology. Then you can download the colorized photos and share it with your family and friends.
It’s important to know that your original photo is not changed in any way. Furthermore, the colorized photos include a small icon in the lower-left corner that marks them as colorized. You don’t want people to mistakenly assume that the color version is the original. Anyone can colorize up to ten photos for free. You need a Complete subscription to colorize more.
MyHeritage’s Prices and Details
MyHeritage offers a focused offering of DNA testing and genealogy tools, focusing exclusively on ancestry and health DNA tests, along with several subscription plans that expand on what you can learn from them. This includes a variety of genealogy tools, as well as access to the company’s massive archives and historical records.
MyHeritage DNA Ancestry Kit
This is the company’s standard test at $79 dollars for a single kit. The test includes:
- All the materials you’ll need to collect your samples and send them back to the lab easily (although keep in mind that postage is not included).
- Your results will be available online within four weeks of the lab receiving your samples
- Access to MyHeritage’s free genealogy tools, which help you build out your family tree and learn about your ancestry.
MyHeritage Health + Ancestry Kit
More recently, MyHeritage began offering its own health indicators test, which includes both the standard ancestry kit and additional markers for genetic health indicators. The test costs $199 and includes:
- Full testing kit with envelope and packaging for return
- 18 separate carrier status tests that offer insights on genetic traits and conditions you could pass to your children, including cystic fibrosis, Tay-Sachs, and more.
- 18 genetic risk reports that cover your predisposition to develop heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, Celiac, and Crohn’s disease.
- Innovative polygenic risk reports that include markers for heart disease, breast cancer, and type 2 diabetes.
- Ethnicity estimates for 42 supported ethnicities, as well as shared ethnicities with DNA matches
- Ancestry testing in addition to your medical reports
- Get results in as little as three to four weeks after samples are received
Complete Subscription Plan
This plan offers access to all of MyHeritage’s genealogy tools and costs $129 for the first year, and $189 per year afterward. The plan includes:
- build out your family tree as large as you want and need it to be, with no family member restrictions
- Get access to the company’s priority customer support, which is available in 18 languages
- Take advantage of MyHeritage’s advanced matching features, which include Smart Matches and Instant Discoveries that speed up the matching process, and advanced DNA features that expand the details you can access about DNA matches
- Automatically scan for possible mistakes and inconsistencies in your family tree
- Gain access to over 11.9 billion historical records, match your family tree to them easily, and save them directly in your file for easier access.
This plan removes some of the Complete plan’s smart matching and advanced DNA features, but gives you access to everything else starting at $99 for the first year, and $129 per year afterward. The package includes:
- Build a family tree with up to 250 family members included with MyHeritage’s outstanding service.
- Gain access to priority customer support for any questions you may need.
- Gain access to the Tree Consistency Checker to identify potential mistakes in the family tree.
- Gain access to over 1 billion new records added yearly
- Access to MyHeritage’s catalog of 11.9 billion historical records, along with record matching and the ability to save records to your tree.
If you’re more interested in simply drawing out your family tree and discovering relatives, you can opt for the Premium subscription, which starts at $59 for the first year, and $79 per year afterward. You lose access to MyHeritage’s historical records, but the package includes:
- Build a family tree of up to 2,500 people
- Gain access to MyHeritage’s Smart Matches and advanced DNA features for faster connections and expanded information
Premium Plus Subscription
Finally, you can opt for the Premium Plus plan, which removes restrictions on your family tree size and adds a few more matching tools for $99 the first year, and $129 yearly after that. The subscription includes:
- Unlimited number of people in your family tree
- Take advantage of Smart Matches and advanced DNA features
- Gain access to Instant Discoveries, which can add entire branches to your family tree in one click
- Take advantage of the MyHeritage family tree consistency checker to avoid any mistakes and find new suggestions
Although it’s still not quite at the level of industry leader Ancestry DNA, MyHeritage is quickly becoming a go-to solution for people seeking to learn more about their family and obtain quick information about their ancestry.
With some of the fastest results times on the market, along with affordable tests and a massive library of records to aid your research, the company provides a great tool to start exploring your ancestry.
Additionally, the Fan View mode is a nice addition to help customers understand their ancestry easily and quickly.
Most importantly, you can match with relatives across the world and build a family tree that can tell your family’s stories from several generations back, and with a global footprint that spans a surprising number of regions.